Excessive noise coming from a dishwasher can be a real nuisance. In small- to midsized kitchens, the noise level can be so overbearing that it’s uncomfortable to be in the kitchen when the dishwasher is on. And in many modern homes with open/integrated kitchen-living room layouts, a noisy dishwasher can disturb conversations, watching TV and other activities.
Thankfully, there are manufacturers of household appliances that are getting better at developing quieter product offerings. As we live in an overwhelmingly noisy society with ever fewer quiet spaces, there is a strong sense of people wanting their home to be a peaceful place for relaxation and contemplation.
The increasing global consumer need for quiet products is still largely unfulfilled, but it is very promising to see that manufacturers are beginning to realize the great commercial potential of taking leadership of the quiet space in their respective category/categories.
In the area of dishwashers, Bosch is doing an excellent job and the German manufacturer offers the quietest dishwasher in North America – the 24″ Bar Handle Dishwasher 800 Plus Series – Stainless steel SHX9PT75UC. The noise level lands at only 38 decibels (dBA), which is fantastic. It will be so quiet that you may not even notice that it’s on.
Bosch promotes itself as being the quietest dishwasher brand in the US, which is based on an average of sound ratings on major brands’ websites. Major brands are defined as the Traqline Top 10 Brands.
Under the heading of “Explore the Science of Quiet”, Bosch does a great job at explaining how every part of the dishwasher has been optimized to be quiet.
They describe 7 noise-reducing features:
- Layers of Insulation – Multiple layers of sound-absorbing insulation that dampen noise.
- EcoSilence Motor System – Frictionless, brushless motors contain motion and reduce noise by 25%.
- Solid Molded Base – The base absorbs sound while minimizing vibration.
- Triple Filtration System – Grindless system filters out food particles, so there’s no need for a loud internal food disposal.
- Detergent Tray – Optimized for tablets, this tray holds detergent in place for a dedicated spray jet to directly dissolve the tablet and minimize spraying the door. (Note: dishwasher also works with powder and gel tablets)
- Spray Arms – Spray arms project water towards your dishes, reducing noise.
- InfoLight – So quiet, you might not know it’s on. This light lets you know. / TimeLight – This light shows that a cycle is running and counts down until your wash cycle is complete.
Bosch really wants consumers to understand what different decibel levels mean so that they will understand just how quiet their quietest dishwasher is. See below a chart found on the Bosch website, where users can experience the difference between a Bosch dishwasher and other familiar sounds.
Go to the website and click on the different bars to hear it for yourself.
If you are looking for a quiet dishwasher to keep aggravating noise out of your kitchen, Bosch seems to be the way to go.